While we were driving from my brother’s graduation lunch, my cousin proposed that we should listen to Michael Jackson. Everybody agreed. Who would not?:) While listening to “Billie Jean”, Antek – my brother, asked how Jackson died, what happened to him, what is the story of his life.
Normal question right? To me it was a moment of realization. It hit me that everything that we have could end at any point.
Life is short. We really take it for granted every single day. We have set amount of days, years and hours given, yet we waste so much of them on …
You can fill in the blank yourself.
So what does Michael Jackson has to do with it? Well, he made me think of what we are going to leave behind. What will stay after we are gone.
He left us with music that will last for years. He changed the way people dance, dress, listen to music. But even more than that, he was and still is a part of my life, your life. Through happy and sad moments. You can listen to his music at any point and feel something. Yes, he is gone, but he left us with music that will last forever in our lives.
Ok, but what if you are not a musician? or an artist? Does that mean you can not make a change or difference?
Of course not! 🙂
It is more about living with purpose, living with a thought that we only have a certain amount of time on this planet earth. Some more than others.
So what do you want to do? What is your dream? What is the change you want to see? What do you want to leave behind? How do you want to be remembered?
If you knew you have one more day left, would you be happy with what you have done so far?
Meaningful life can be a lot of things. Here are some points that are important to me.
- Be the change you want to see in the world and don’t complain too much. There are people who would love to be where you are right now.
- Live today. Thinking ahead too much will not help if you can’t live a full life right at this moment.
- Find your purpose and purse it. Whatever it may be. People will tell you all the best advice in the world but at the end of the day, it is your life and you will live with the decisions you’ve made, not they.
- Love others. Treat everyone with love, as if they were your brothers and sisters.
- Find simple joy every single day. We wait for these huge moments to happen but to be honest, best things are happening right next to us and the magic of a meaningful life is to notice them.
- Serve other people. The world has an “I” problem. It’s about me, I. Once you notice that the power lays in “we” “together” “me for you”, your life will be much happier.
- Give more than receive. Love always comes back and once you start giving it, it will come back to you in the time of need twice as big as what you gave, believe me.
- Be thankful. Imagine you wake up tomorrow with only those things you thanked for today.. Exactly. So be grateful for all that you have.
Call your family, tell them you love them. Be the change you want to see. Live a life you would be proud of at the end of your time on this earth and remember that life is so much more than “I”.
It is never too late to start over. You can do it right now.